Smoking ribs gives them an undeniably lusty flavor, but baking them in the oven is a super easy alternative that can be done year round. I initially developed this recipe for CHOW.com for our Fourth of July party and it is definitely one of my favorites. The vinegar, brown sugar and lemon zest create a tangy rub with a sweet little kick from the paprika and allspice. They benefit from a long marinade, so plan ahead and give them 24 hours to soak up the seasonings.
Come summer, try them outside too—no smokiness would be lost on these bad boys.
Vinegar and Spice Oven Ribs Recipe
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lightly packed lemon zest, from about 4 medium lemons
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 full racks baby back ribs, about 5 pounds
- Remove the thin skin that lines the back of each rib and discard. Place remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Coat ribs evenly with rub on both sides, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange rack in lower and upper third of oven. While oven is heating line 2 baking sheets with foil and place ribs in a single layer on baking sheets. Cover tightly with foil and set aside until oven is hot.
- Bake ribs 45 minutes, then remove the foil and rotate pans. Bake another 45 minutes or until tender and browned.