A good New Year’s Eve cocktail is a tricky proposition. It needs to be fancy, effervescent, celebratory, with enough kick-in-the-pants to get the party started. This can be tough if you don’t drink or are serving a crowd that includes pregnant ladies and/or children.
You don’t want them to feel left out, like ‘Oh, great, one more holiday party where my husband/Mom/Dad gets to have a holly, jolly time.’ ‘I’ll just wait over here in the corner until they are ready to go home.’ No Way! You absolutely want the pregnant lady to have a good time, put her feet up and have her own nice icy cocktail.
Adapted from CHOW
- 3 quarts (12 cups) water
- 1 1/2 cups dried jamaica flowers, rinsed in cold water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Remove from heat and add jamaica flowers and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved then let steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a heat-proof container. Stir in lime juice and chill.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve over ice.