- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (see below)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- ¾ cup beef broth or water
- warm tortillas, sliced jalapeños, sliced scallions, and lime wedges for serving
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add beef and taco seasoning and stir into onion mixture, breaking up the beef with the back of the spoon. Cook until most of the beef is browned, about 5 more minutes.
- Add potatoes and broth or water, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Serve with warm tortillas, sliced jalapeños and scallions, and some lime wedges for squeezing.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!