Want more comida for your vida? Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or Bloglovin. If you have a cooking question (or any other kind of question) leave me a comment below, they kinda make my day (insert smiley face). ¡Gracias!
Making your own tostadas (fried tortillas) is pretty straight-forward but if you want to skip that step you can purchase store-bought tostadas instead.
- 3 large green tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) cored and quartered
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced Hatch green chiles
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Vegetable oil for frying tortillas and eggs, at least 2 cups
- 12 to 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked beans or 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 12 to 16 large eggs
- To make the salsa, place the tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from water (saving the water) and place in a blender with remaining sauce ingredients. Blend on high, adding some of the tomato water if it is too thick. When salsa is smooth, taste and add more lime juice or salt as needed. Salsa can be made up to 1 week in advance.
- To fry the tortillas, pour enough oil in a large frying pan (cast iron is best) to reach about 1/2-inch up the side of the pan. Place over medium-heat until bubbles immediately form around a wooden chopstick when inserted or a deep-fat fry thermometer reaches 350°F. Meanwhile line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Place one tortilla at a time in the oil and cook until lightly browned on one side, holding the tortilla down if it starts to curl. Flip and repeat on the other side, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to the plate and lightly sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining tortillas. You will want to plan on 1 tortilla per egg.
- Remove all but 3 tablespoons of oil from skillet and carefully add beans, fry beans, mashing them with a potato masher over until heated through, remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Fry eggs (1 or 2 per person) in a separate frying pan then top each tortilla with a heaping spoonful of beans, an egg and salsa on top. Serve immediately.