Happy Monday!!! If you celebrated ‘Dies Y Seis‘ this past weekend then read slowly. I’m sure you’ll get through this day just fine, it certainly isn’t the first time you’ve gone to work hungover, right?!
I’ll bet there were many of you who celebrated Mexican Independence Day last weekend and I know a few of you who will be continuing to live it up for the next couple days. You’re going to eat some Chiles en Nogada, maybe some Pozole, have a margarita or two. I know you’ve got all that covered. The unfortunate part is that this is not Mexico. You still have to show up at work. But no worries, I’ve got you.
I fixed up a cold, lightly sweetened horchata with a caffeine kick that will get you through the day. It is the best worlds of iced coffee and creamy horchata mixed together with the tropical flavors of toasted coconut. So stop what you’re doing, drag your booties to the kitchen and make a batch right now. It requires four ingredients and five minutes of your time, but you do have to let it sit overnight so make it now and it will be waiting for you tomorrow morning…..just like your boss at the office. ¡Viva México!
The sugar from the sweetened coconut makes this drink lightly sweet. If you are looking for more sweetness you can add agave syrup to taste or mix in a little sweetened condensed milk.
- 1 cup whole coffee beans
- 1 1/4 cups rice (any kind will work)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 5 cups water
- In a coffee grinder coarsely grind the coffee beans. Pour into a large pitcher.
- In the same coffee grinder finely grind the rice. You want it to be almost like a flour, depending on the grinder you may need to do this in batches. Pour the ground rice into the pitcher with the coffee.
- Add the toasted coconut and the water. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight, or at least 12 hours.
- The next day give the mixture a stir, then strain through a coffee filter into a clean pitcher (I used my regular pour over set up, but you'll have to do a little at a time, it could take up to 30 minutes for it all to go through. Give the mixture a stir if it gets clogged.)
- Serve immediately over ice or cover and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.