Well, how are we finding ourselves this Sunday?
As for us, each day starts with a bit of trepidation, which leads to more sure footing as we decide to take the day into our hands before it can take us.
This past week has brought back so many memories of the years we lived in North Dakota. This shelter-in-place life was more-or-less how we functioned in the winter months. I spent most days at home with my two kids under 4 years old, with nowhere to go, no good food to eat (besides what I made myself), definitely no restaurants to visit. I only ever left the house to grocery shop or occasionally visit a friend.
It feels vaguely comfortable, like stepping back into an old job. I got accustomed to that life as you will get accustomed to yours.
We are getting to know each other again. Armando and I haven’t spent this much time together in four years and it is really lovely. The kids are playing together and being kids again which fills my heart right up.
Having this luxury of time means including the kids in dinner prep (who cares if it takes twice as long), taking time to exercise together, read to each other, and play games.
I know so many of you are going through difficult, dark times but please try to enjoy the simple, healing moments this break from our hectic life is offering to us.
And when you need an escape, the kitchen is always a great place to go! Below you’ll find 10 recipes that are bit more involved than what I normally post in my #10RecipesToTry lists. Extra time calls for extra cooking!
Even in this era of pantry meals and using what you have, I actually find myself meal planning more than usual. If I’m only making one trip to the store a week, I’ve got to make it count. Hopefully you’ll find some inspiration in the list below.
And if you are interested in making a luxurious breakfast, the Blueberry Coconut Banana Pancakes pictured above are dairy-free and delicious!
Stay well friends! xoxo Kate
- Arroz Con Pollo from A Cozy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Roasted Green Salsa from Mama Latina Tips
- Carne Asada Burritos from Mexican Please
- Campari Sangria from Inspired by Charm
- Fried Catfish from Grandbaby Cakes
- Lemon Herb Shrimp and Rice Skillet from Creme De La Crumb
- Sopa de Tortilla from Salt and Wind
- Honey-Soy Skillet Chicken with Broccoli Rabe from Brooklyn Supper
- Crispy Persian Rice with Spiced Golden Chick Peas from Half Baked Harvest
- Paleo Gnocchi Bolognese from What Great Grandma Ate
leave a reply