If this is a big holiday for you, typically full of family, I can imagine you are feeling a bit down today. Did you celebrate at all? Make something indulgent? I posted this ultra-decadent Tres Leches Concha Baked French Toast earlier this week on Instagram. Sometimes you’ve got to treat yourself, you know?
My kids were on “Spring Break” last week—whatever that means. Basically, they had no assignments or tasks to complete from their teachers and I didn’t have to do any homeschooling, which gave me a bit more uninterrupted work time, but generally left them bored and bickering, so I’m not sure the benefit outweighed the cost.
Generally, I’ve really cherished being together. It has given us the gift of time and for that I’m forever grateful. Even Armando and I have discovered things about each other we never knew. While washing dishes the other night he told me that he always felt bad about some of the circumstances we lived in when we were in our 20’s and just starting out. He thanked me for sticking with him and was surprised to find out I never thought our circumstances were ever bad. I was always happy as long as we were together. Imagine, in 20 years, we’ve never had this conversation.
Have you discovered anything unexpected during this time? About yourself or your relationships? What have you been doing to pass the time? Cooking a lot, I assume? Or is that just me?
Louisa and I made the donuts pictured above. She is going to be a fantastic baker—she’s extraordinarily patient, way more than I ever was or am. But we haven’t been surviving on sweets alone. There’s been lots of delicious meals I’ve made from these 10 Recipes To Try lists. If you don’t see anything on the list below that strikes you, check out a few of the others—lots of good stuff there too!
Off to another week we go! xoxo Kate
- Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli from College Housewife
- Kofte Bowl with Warm Spiced Yogurt from The View From Great Island
- Easy Spicy Kung Pao Beef Noodles from Joyful Healthy Eats
- Crispy Paprika Oven Fries from 101 Cookbooks
- Lamb Bolognese from A Cozy Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Muffins from Creme De La Crumb
- Mexican Bolillo Recipe from Dora’s Table
- Spicy Orange Margaritas from Heather Christo
- Refried Sweet Potato Flautas with Toasted Pasilla Crema from Life, Limon y Sal
- Cuban-Style Shrimp Creole from A Sassy Spoon