The greatest dilemma with a cupcake is that it is nearly impossible to get cake and frosting with every bite. And while I embrace the approach of standing over the icing bowl and spreading on a fresh coat with every bite, the clever ladies at Frosted Cupcakery in LA have come up with an even better idea.
Presenting the Hi-Top—buttercream sandwiched between two delicate cupcake halves. It took me a few tries to figure out exactly how this works (the cupcake after all gets bigger on top) but sliced just so it’s almost like a puffy whoopie pie.
If the cake to frosting ratio is not essential to you, these cupcakes are still delicious in their traditional form, especially with the honey-cinnamon cream cheese frosting.Print
Banana Cupcake Sandwich Recipe
Inside out banana cupcakes cut in half and sandwiched together with dreamy honey-cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Adapted from Everyday Food
- Yield: 12 Sandwiches 1x
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan very liberally with butter.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl with a whisk. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add butter, mashed banana, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together wet ingredients in the well, then mix in flour just until wet (do not overmix). Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely before continuing.
For the Frosting:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once cooled slice each cupcake in half horizontally. Slice off the top of the cupcake if very domed to create a flat surface, then place the bottom half over the top and using a sharp pairing knife trim the sides so they are even all the way around.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of frosting on one side and top with the other half cupcake.