Be bold and use this not as a recipe, but merely a guide to create your own salad with farro or rice and any number of vegetables, beans and herbs. I can even see this on the Thanksgiving table with roasted butternut squash and wild rice.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 ounces green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 bell peppers of any color, medium dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- Fill a large pot with heavily-salted water and bring to a boil. Add barley and lentils, stir, and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add green beans and boil until knife tender.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, balsamic, lemon juice, salt, thyme, and black pepper in a large bowl. While constantly whisking, slowly add oil until incorporated.
- Once barley and beans are tender, drain thoroughly and add to vinaigrette. Toss to combine, then add remaining ingredients. Stir gently and taste; adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g