Be bold and use this not as a recipe, but merely a guide to create your own salad with farro or rice and any number of vegetables, beans and herbs. I can even see this on the Thanksgiving table with roasted butternut squash and wild rice.Print
Barley and Lentil Salad Recipe
Treat this grain and bean salad into one of your favorite easy Mexican dishes by adding a squeeze of lime juice, some ground cumin, and a bit of chile!
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 ounces green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 bell peppers of any color, medium dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- Fill a large pot with heavily-salted water and bring to a boil. Add barley and lentils, stir, and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add green beans and boil until knife tender.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, balsamic, lemon juice, salt, thyme, and black pepper in a large bowl. While constantly whisking, slowly add oil until incorporated.
- Once barley and beans are tender, drain thoroughly and add to vinaigrette. Toss to combine, then add remaining ingredients. Stir gently and taste; adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.