So here is my recipe. You can use it for pasta, pizza, over polenta, on chicken or eggplant parm, the possibilities are endless. Oh, and freezes beautifully.Print
Basic Tomato Sauce Recipe
A simple homemade tomato sauce recipe using canned tomatoes, garlic, and onions. You’ll never buy store-bought sauce again! Dairy and gluten free! I buy tomato paste in the tube (usually located on the top shelf above the other tomato pastes). It’s a bit more expensive, but keeps the tomato paste fresh after you open it for a month or so. Here’s a great tip for keeping the canned stuff fresh.
- Yield: Makes 4 Cups (Enough for 1 pound of pasta) 1x
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add crushed tomatoes (juices and all) and bay leaf. Stir to combine and lower heat to low. Cover and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.