Whenever we go to Minneapolis we make a mandatory stop at Trader Joe’s and fill our trunk to the brim with enough groceries to hopefully last us until our next trip.
Whole grains are remarkably hard to find here in my little village so I always stock up on everything I can find at TJ’s. On our last trip I found a new brown rice medley that I now know better than to only buy one bag. It has long grain brown rice, black barley and daikon radish seeds. If you have a TJ’s in your hood I highly recommend picking some up, if not, brown rice medleys can be found in the bulk section of posh grocery stores like Whole Foods or you could just use long grain brown rice.
This was one of those what’s-in-the-cupboard side dishes that I will definitely be making again. We had some friends over for dinner and everyone raved about the rice. I can’t take all the credit though because I think it was the fancy black barley and radish seeds that won everyone over, but that didn’t stop me from saying “oh, thank you!” “Just some scallions and dried cranberries, that’s all”. I conveniently failed to mention the bag of rice I drove four hours to buy.
Brown Rice with Scallions and Dried Cranberries Recipe
A wonderful side dish recipe combining chewy brown rice with the sharpness of fresh scallions and sweet dried cranberries. Dairy and gluten free!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups brown rice medley or long grain brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock, broth or water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oil in a large, shallow pot over medium heat. Add scallions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender.
- Add rice and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook, covered until water has evaporated and rice is tender, but not mushy, about 35 to 45 minutes. Stir in cranberries and taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g
leave a reply