Caesar Salad Recipe
For the Croutons:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups roughly chopped bread cubes (like baguette or sourdough)
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the croutons, heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in middle. Combine smashed garlic and oil and infuse for 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oil (it can be reserved to make the dressing). Toss oil and bread cubes together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss again. Spread bread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, garlic, and anchovy paste in a large glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (a Mason jar works well). Cover tightly and shake until incorporated and uniform. Add oils and shake once more until incorporated. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Use immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days; shake again before using.
- To assemble, wash, dry and tear lettuce into a large bowl. Add Parmesan, croutons, and half of the dressing (save other half for another salad). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss, making sure everything is coated. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary, serve immediately.