I fully intended to grill these chicken skewers, it is May after all and the weather should be such to endure some time outside. But I temporarily forgot that I live in North Dakota and it turns out that May can be miserable, 36°F and sleeting as a matter of fact—so under the broiler they went. If you don’t live in Siberia like I do, feel free to grill them instead.
Chicken satay is great potluck food, they are good room temperature or hot and easy to eat at a party, but you could serve them as a main course for dinner with some steamed rice and stir-fried veggies.
Chicken Satay with Curry Peanut Sauce Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Grilled chicken skewers marinated in a green curry peanut sauce.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice or a combination of both
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sambal or other chili garlic sauce
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 35 skewers (soaked for at least 30 minutes if wooden)
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Reserve 3/4 cup sauce for dipping in a separate container, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add chicken strips to remaining sauce and toss to coat. Thread one or two strips (if small) onto a skewer (you want each skewer to have approximately the same amount of meat) and place in a large plate or baking dish. Drizzle any remaining sauce over skewers, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours in advance.
- Turn on broiler and adjust rack to middle. Place a rack on top of a baking sheet and place skewers in a single layer on rack (you will have to do this in batches). Broil skewers one rack at a time until chicken is firm, cooked through and starting to brown on the top, about 5 to 8 minutes. Repeat with remaining skewers. Serve hot or room temperature with dipping sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 646mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 57g
leave a reply