Don’t know how to clean an artichoke? Check out step-by-step instructions here.
Chicken with Artichoke Ragu and Angel Hair Recipe
Pan-fried chicken breasts topped with an fresh artichoke ragú and served with delicate angle hair pasta. Dairy free!
- Yield: 4 1x
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 large globe artichokes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 (10 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- salt and black pepper
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water and stir in lemon juice. Slice off the top third of the artichokes and snap off tough outer leaves. Trim 1/2 inch off the bottom of each stem then peel tough skin off remaining stem and artichoke bottom. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise and scoop out sharp inner leaves and choke. Cut into 1-inch slices and place in lemon water. Place a small plate on top of artichokes to keep them submerged.
- Heat oven to 300°F. Place flour in a shallow dish and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover both sides of the chicken pieces in flour and shake off excess. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add 3 chicken pieces and brown on one side. Flip and cook on other side until browned and cooked through, transfer to a oven-proof dish. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pan and repeat with remaining 3 pieces of chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in oven to keep warm.
- Return pan to heat and add onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until starting to brown. Drain artichokes and add to pan and toss to coat in oil. Add chicken stock, capers, and chili flakes and bring to a boil. Simmer until artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- While artichokes are cooking, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Once boiling add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Once cooked, lift pasta out of the water with tongs and place into the frying pan with the artichokes and toss to combine. Drizzle with more olive oil and add some of the pasta cooking liquid if it seems dry. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer pasta to plates, top with chicken and serve.