Not being able to cook anything with cheese or butter sometimes leaves me with a craving for cream that could rival the most pregnant of ladies and I have to fulfill my desires with something ridiculously decadent. What I yearn for most is rich baked pastas with lots of bubbly cheese.
This one has the thinly veiled plea of being healthy by using whole wheat pasta, and you could definitely throw in some veggies like frozen peas, sautéed mushrooms or thinly sliced sundried tomatoes.
- 1/2 pound whole wheat shells
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces Fontina, shredded
- 2 ounces Parmesan, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400°F. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook 3 minutest short of al dente, drain pasta and place in baking dish along with chicken.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add onion and cook until translucent. Lower heat to medium-low and add cream. Bring to a simmer, then add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese is melted. Pour mixture over pasta and toss until evenly coated.
- Bake, uncovered, until top is golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 718Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 759mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g