I’m one to keep my word and recently at Story Time, my vow to honor my promises was put to the test—by a three-year old. He was admiring the pretty bow my daughter was wearing and I absentmindedly bet him that she would pull it out in no less than five minutes. He (having more faith in my daughter) said she would keep it in all Story Time long, and if he were to win would like cookies and if I were to win he would give me a turtle, oh, and he likes chocolate. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to guess who won—chocolate it is.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Rich and chewy cocoa cookies packed with melty dark chocolate chips for an extra indulgent treat. Dairy Free!
- Yield: 2 Dozen Cookies 1x
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in the middle. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to break up any lumps.
- Combine crisco and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream them on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stop machine, add flour mixture, then beat on low speed until incorporated, dough will be stiff. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Form into 2-inch round balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Press down on balls with the bottom of a glass or your hand to flatten. Bake until firm, about 10 to 12 minutes. Allow them to cool on baking sheets before removing.