Hoisin Tofu and Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
Creamy, earthy tofu stir-fried with fresh, crisp snow peas all in a sweet, gingery hoisin sauce. Dairy and gluten free!
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound tofu, drained, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, tough strings removed
- Place tofu cubes on a large plate lined with paper towels. Place more paper towels on top of the tofu and gently press to dry.
- Combine water, Hoisin, sesame oil, soy, and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Once shimmering, add tofu and cook undisturbed until golden on the bottom. Flip and repeat until brown on all sides. Remove from pan and return pan to heat.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Once shimmering add scallions, garlic and ginger and stir-fry 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Add bell pepper and peas and cook 2 minutes more, then add sauce and tofu and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, stirring often, until peas are tender. Serve with steamed rice.