Leftover Turkey Tinga Sopes
For the Turkey Tinga:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 chipotles en adobo with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from the can
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 orange
- All the leftover turkey, about 4-5 cups, cut into bite-sized pieces
For the Sopes:
- 2 cups Maseca masa harina
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Shredded red cabbage
- sliced radishes
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- avocado slices
- To make the tinga, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomatillos and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, oregano, thyme, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Carefully transfer to a blender, add orange juice and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Return sauce to frying pan, add turkey and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until turkey is heated through, about 10 minutes. Keep warm while you make the sopes.
- To make the sopes, combine the masa, salt, and warm water in a large bowl. Mix together with your hands until the dough is evenly moist, but not crumbly. If it is too dry add more water 1/4 cup at a time until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces roll them into balls. Keep the balls covered as you work with a clean kitchen towel. Using a tortilla press, press each ball into 1/4-inch thick circle. If you don’t have a tortilla press you can place the ball between two pieces of plastic wrap and press down with something wide and flat like a large frying pan.
- Heat a dry cast iron skillet or comal over medium heat. Once pan is hot, cook sopes, one at a time until toasted on one side, about 4 minutes. Gently flip and cook the other side. Repeat with remaining sopes.
- Top each sope with turkey and a little cabbage, sliced radishes, avocado slices, and a dollop of sour cream.