I like to squeeze every last drop out of summer so making dishes that celebrate the season like fresh lemony fish and vibrant ratatouille is right up my alley.
- 1 1/2 pounds flaky white fish fillets, such as cod or tilapia
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Ratatouille:
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Rinse and pat dry fish and season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Thinly slice lemon and layer slices between fish fillets. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
For the Ratatouille:
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally and gently squeeze to remove seeds. Coarsely chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook until eggplant begins to turn golden, then remove from skillet.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, once hot add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until starting to brown then add garlic and bell pepper. Continue cooking until pepper starts to soften, then add zucchini and season again with salt and pepper.
- Once zucchini is starting to brown, add tomatoes, eggplant, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until all vegetables are tender and stewed. Stir in parsley.
- While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add fish fillets and cook, without disturbing, until browned on one side. Flip and cook until fish easily flakes when pressed with a finger.
- Taste ratatouille and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot or at room temperature with fish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 45g