This versatile sauce can be used as the base for numerous meals. I topped ours with golden squares of puff pastry and served it like a vegetarian pot pie of sorts. You could also turn this idea on its head and fill the flaky pastry with a little goat cheese and a healthy spoonful of the ragu and serve this as a substantial first course, or simply toss the sauce with pasta.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 medium leeks (white part only)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms (button, crimini, or shitake) cleaned, quartered and shitake stems removed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- Bring stock to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat add dried porcini and set aside to soak for at least 15 minutes or until they are very soft.
- Meanwhile, quarter the leeks lengthwise, then thinly slice horizontally. Cover with water and let soak for a few minutes to remove any sand or dirt. Carefully lift leeks out of the water and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until leeks are tender, about 8 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and thyme and season again with salt and pepper. Cook until all the liquid the mushrooms release has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lift the porcini mushrooms out of the soaking liquid. Pour liquid through a coffee filter and reserve. Rinse the porcini thoroughly to remove any remaining sand. Coarsely chop porcini, then mix them into mushroom mixture along with the wine; cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Whisk the flour into the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Stir the mixture into the mushrooms; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Remove thyme sprigs and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g