Two short months have passed since the end of our summer vacation and I’ve already got the travel bug again. I have been fantasizing about roaming around Italy. Gazing at the vine-covered hills, exploring the ancient cathedrals, rambling up and down its coasts in a train car and most importantly sitting down to meal after glorious meal of pasta.
I went so far as to see how much tickets were from Fargo to Rome ($925 in case you’re interested). I guess I will have to settle for flipping through old photos while eating pasta.
This sauce makes great use of those tomatoes that are still hanging around from summer’s bounty. You could also substitute a 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes (chopped) if you don’t have any fresh around.
Pasta with Sausage and Fresh Tomatoes Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prime tomato-season pasta dish with spicy Italian sausage, fresh tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cored and medium dice
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound pasta
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Once shimmering add sausages and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Add onion and garlic to oil in pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and tender. Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf and season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer.
- Once sausages are cool enough to handle, cut in half vertically, then again in 1/2-inch thick slices. Add to the tomato sauce and continue cooking until tomatoes have broken down and thickened slightly.
- While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain, pour sauce over pasta, toss and serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 685Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 877mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
leave a reply