Prairie Garden Salad
- 2 large beets, washed and thoroughly dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups baby romaine, washed, thoroughly dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon orange-muscat vinegar
- Heat oven to 425°F and place beets in an oven-safe dish. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over beets and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat beets in oil. Cover with foil and roast until a sharp knife is easily inserted in the beets, about 45 minutes. Carefully remove foil and let cool. When cool enough to handle peel beets by simply rubbing off the skin with your fingers. Cut off ends, cut into quarters, then slice in 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place beets, romaine, cucumber, and walnuts in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with vinegar, remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and add more salt or pepper as needed.