The recipe says it is a take on the classic English breakfast.
I will take them for their word on that one, I’ve never been to England and have not experienced their morning rituals.
All I know is I feel as strongly today and I did in 2003 that an egg and toast is a most marvelous meal any time of day.
The original recipe suggests using fresh tomatoes cut in half.
It being wintertime in the arctic I wouldn’t buy a fresh tomato (let alone eat one) if a gun was pointed to my head, so I used whole canned tomatoes and loved every bite.
I would change my mind come summer though, but I guess by summertime I won’t be interested in heating my oven to 400°F.
Roasted Tomato and Mushroom Bruschetta with Ham and Fried Eggs Recipe
Crispy slices of rustic bread rubbed with garlic and topped with ham, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms, and a fried egg. A delicious breakfast or brunch recipe.
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine
- Yield: 4-8 1x
- 8 whole canned tomatoes
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices rustic country bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham
- 8 large eggs
- Heat oven to 400°F. Toss tomatoes and mushrooms with 2 tablespoons oil on a baking sheet. Spread into a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast in lower third of oven until softened and browned in places, about 20 minutes for the mushrooms and 30 minutes for the tomatoes. (Transfer mushrooms to a plate while tomatoes finish cooking.)
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of bread with 2 tablespoons oil, then sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the upper third of oven until crisp and golden on the edges, about 10 minutes. Rub tops of toasts with cut sides of garlic and return to baking sheet. Fold a slice of ham over each toast and return to oven to warm ham while you fry the eggs, about 3 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry eggs to desired doneness. Remove toasts and tomatoes from oven, place a tomato and some mushrooms on top of the ham then top with a fried egg.