This meal is one of my basic go-to vegetarian dinners when I’m uninspired and hungry. The vegetables in the ingredient list are simply what I had in my refrigerator. The only essential items are the onion and garlic and some type of herb, other than that you add or subtract any or all of those listed for your favorites.
Whichever vegetables you use always remember to give the denser ones more time to cook. For example, I add the beets and carrots before the zucchini, this allows the tougher root vegetables to sauté a bit longer and soften up so that once the zucchini is added they will all be ready at the same time.
Sautéed Vegetables with Polenta Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A cozy vegetarian meal for a cold winter night.
- 2 cups polenta or coarse cornmeal
- 12 ounces Fontina or dry Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium beet, peeled, cut in quarters and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- Bring 4 cups of water to a simmer over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, then slowly stir in the polenta. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently until polenta is creamy, thick, and tender. Add cheese and stir to combine. Cover and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until starting to brown. Add beets and carrots and cook until starting to soften. Add zucchini and season again with salt and pepper. Once zucchini starts to brown add wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add thyme and broth and cover. Cook until all vegetables are tender. Taste and season again if necessary.
- Spoon polenta into shallow bowls, top with veggies and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 717Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1298mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 30g
leave a reply