Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, medium diced
- 3 medium leeks, washed, cut in half vertically and thinly sliced (light green and white parts only)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, medium diced
- 2 stalks cerely, medium diced
- 12 ounces smoked ham, medium diced
- 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed
- 12 cups stock, broth or water
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, leek and garlic and season with black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ham, carrot, and celery and season again with black pepper. Cook until veggies start to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add peas, stock, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until peas are tender and starting to fall apart, about 1 hour. Taste and add salt and more pepper if necessary.