I always forget I have this book (see previous entry about searching for a birthday cake recipe). Which is dumb because every time I open it, I find 6 more recipes I want to try—S’mores Cupcakes anyone? Yes, please!
My brain always turns on at some point, and I remember the awesomeness that is this book. Take this butter-free chocolate buttercream frosting for example. You start making it and you think how is this sticky mess going to turn into anything spreadable? Beat a minute or two longer and you have fluffy, creamy, you would never know it has no butter, buttercream frosting.
Like the coffee at Starbucks this frosting can be transformed into whatever flavor you want it to be. Want mocha? Add a teaspoon of coffee extract. Peppermint? A 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract will take you there. Or simply chocolate is good too.
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted if there are clumps)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream together margarine and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add cocoa powder and incorporate well.
- Add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches and beat well, adding a little splash of soy milk after each batch. When all ingredients have been incorporated, add vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 1g