- 1 cup dried small shells
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- leaves from 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- Bring a medium saucepan of heavily-salted water to a boil. Add shells and cook according to package instructions. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add garlic, sage, and rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly until tomato paste blends into the veggies.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until onion is tender and flavors have melded, at least 10 minutes or up to an hour. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- When ready to serve, divide pasta among 4 bowls and ladle soup over the top. You can serve the soup with some grated parmesan if desired, but then it would no longer be vegan, so there you go.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 896mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g