I, of little restraint or sense, immediately page through it to see all the fantastic things I must have—Valentine cupid sprinkles, Vietnamese cinnamon, and boiled cider. I love how they place items into categories titled, Baking Essentials, like you can’t possibly bake anything without these ingredients—I must buy them all.
I get other catalogs too. Living where I do, local shopping is more of a utilitarian exercise. I order everything online, which means I receive every catalog made by man, most of which instantly go in the recycling bin. But the King Arthur Flour catalog is different, they lure me in with pragmatic items which I actually need and can’t find here, things like parchment paper, and then the next thing you know I’ve ordered half the catalog.
One lazy morning over Christmas, I was determined to use up a very ripe banana or two and thought about waffles. The sweet espresso flavor of the cappuccino chips was a perfect match. If you don’t have any cappuccino chips on hand, which I’m assuming you do not, use chocolate chips instead, or leave them out all together.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 very ripe medium bananas
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk, or whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cappuccino or chocolate chips
- Heat waffle iron. Whisk together both flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Mash bananas in a medium mixing bowl then add milk, oil, eggs, and vinegar and whisk until eggs are completely incorporated. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in cappuccino chips.
- Pour about 3/4 cup batter into waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve warm with maple syrup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 12g