¡Happy Thanksgiving Mis Amigos!
I hope you are having a wonderful day doing whatever makes this day special for you. I am continually amazed and grateful to have you all in my life as readers and makers of my recipes. I feel especially honored that you take the time to leave me comments and share your personal stories. It is incredible to me that I can have this platform to do what I love and that you actually love it too. I am a grateful woman indeed. Thank you. Now let’s make some apple chili biscuits!
As for us, we are currently lazing around in our pjs, watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, and getting ready to head to the beach for our first ever Thanksgiving Day beach walk. It is quite a change from last year’s North Dakota Thanksgiving but you won’t find me complaining. Before we head out I wanted to leave you with this easy biscuit recipe, just in case you needed one more thing to make today (wink, wink).
Apple Chili biscuits bake up nice and fluffy with the slight spice of chili and sweet grated apple.
We are going to have them with cider-glazed Cornish game hens and the rest of the fixings for dinner tonight but I think they would be pretty dang delicious with sausage gravy for breakfast.
How to make dairy-free biscuits
A few quick details about making these biscuits; I use extra-virgin coconut oil instead of butter to make them dairy-free. Freeze the coconut oil until it is hard and then use the large holes of a box grater to grate the oil into small pieces. This technique also works with butter if you didn’t want to make them dairy free.
Secondly, when you cut the biscuits out with the round cutter, make sure you don’t twist the cutter, this seals the dough together making it hard for them to rise. Just push the cutter straight down then bring it back up.
And lastly, I use self-rising flour for biscuits but if you don’t have any you can use the same amount of all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and long lazy weekend! xoxo, Kate
Fluffy, dairy-free biscuits speckled with chili and fresh grated apple. They go great with turkey for Thanksgiving or with gravy for breakfast.
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cold extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup grated fresh apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Grate cold coconut oil on the large holes of a box grater into the flour mixture. Add grated apple and toss the two into the flour mixture to coat.
- Pour milk over mixture and stir into the flour. Gather dough together and place on a lightly dusted counter.
- Knead dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Roll out into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Cut into biscuits using whatever size cutter you'd like (I used a 3-inch cutter). When you cut the biscuits, push the cutter down without twisting, this will let them rise higher in the oven.
- Place biscuits in a cast iron skillet or on a lined baking sheet. You don't need to space them apart. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are browned and the biscuits are cooked through.