Big crumbles of blue cheese, buttermilk, and sour cream are the secrets to my absolute favorite Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe! This simple recipe is incredible on wedge salads or to serve as a dip with everything from Jalapeño Poppers to Buffalo Wings.
In the world of salad dressings, Blue Cheese is definitely the most joy-inducing. I guess I need to preface that by saying…if you love blue cheese.
But if you do, which I’m sure you do, because we’re all food-lovers here, then there’s no other salad dressing that feels like a real treat. I don’t make it at home that often. Mainly because I’m the only one in my family who likes blue cheese, which makes it all that more special when I do.
This particular blue cheese dressing is a riff on one I learned to make when I was the Sous chef at Mustards Grill a millennia ago. I love the big hunks of pungent blue cheese, the silkiness of the sour cream, and sharp tang of buttermilk.
The best part? It’s really easy to make. Just a little bit of chopping and your done!
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Just Ranch with Blue Cheese?
Simple answer, no!
Ranch dressing is all about the herbs and spices. They both are very creamy, made with buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise but good homemade blue cheese dressing shines a spotlight on the blue cheese where ranch dressing highlights the parsley, black pepper, garlic, and onion.
- Blue cheese
- Sour cream
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
How To Make Easy Homemade Blue Cheese
If you’ve got a knife, a cutting board, a bowl and a spoon you can make this quick and easy recipe. Here’s how to make the best blue cheese dressing on earth:
- Mince the shallot, scallion, and garlic really fine and add to a medium bowl.
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Crumble in the blue cheese in nice big hunks. Fold in the blue cheese crumbles gently, being careful to not break them up too much.
- Drizzle over salads or transfer to a small bowl for dipping.
What type of blue cheese should I use?
There are several varieties of blue cheese and they all would work well in this recipe. The only kind I don’t recommend is the pre-crumbled blue cheese you can find in plastic containers in the grocery store. It is typically dried out and sometimes has anti-caking agents added which gives it a funky texture and taste.
My favorite kind of blue cheese is Maytag Blue Cheese. It is a creamy, sharp blue cheese handcrafted on a family farm in Iowa for over 80 years. If you can’t find it Stilton makes a good substitute.
More homemade salad dressing recipes to try!
- Smoked Paprika Orange Dressing
- Spicy Cayenne Dressing
- Cilantro Pesto Vinaigrette
- Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Easy Poppy Seed Dressing
- Classic Honey Mustard Dressing
- Simple Serrano Pepper Dressing
Say good bye to store bought
Now that you know how easy and delicious homemade blue cheese dressing is, you’ll never reach for the store-bought stuff again. When you make it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) ! Also, make sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Whisk. Combine everything but the blue cheese in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Fold. Gently fold in the blue cheese crumbles, being careful not to break them up too much.
- Serve! Taste dressing with a celery stick or other veggie. Add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as needed. Serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!