You know how there’s someone who follows the President around with nuclear bomb codes? If I were President I would ask that someone follow me around with a pan of these bars. They would most certainly come in handy to diffuse tension or at least spark a friendly atmosphere. Is it too much to ask that we start all international negotiations with a cookie swap?
The base for these bars are delicately almond-scented shortbread. You press most of it into the pan, but you set a bit aside to crumble over the top later.
Chocolate, Raspberry, Macadamia Nut Bars
Adapted from CHOW.com
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted macadamia nuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in middle. Grease a 8 x 8-inch baking dish with baking spray, line with foil or parchment paper so the foil hangs over considerably on two sides and spray foil with more baking spray. (The foil will make the bars much easier to remove later).
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add extracts and salt and beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add flour. Mix on low just until flour is incorporated.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, then press into a thin disc. Place in freezer while you prepare the bars. Press remaining dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread jam over the dough then sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over jam. Remove remaining dough from the freezer and crumble over the chocolate chips. Sprinkle macadamia nuts over the dough.
- Bake until nuts are a dark golden brown, about 40 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature then remove from the pan by pulling up on the overhanging edges of foil. Cut into bars and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
leave a reply