At the library this holiday season I spotted Cranberry Christmas and immediately swapped it for the horrendous Scooby Doo book my ‘lil one wanted to check out. She was a bit bummed when we got home to find out we somehow forgot to bring Scooby Doo and the Wacky Waterpark home, but quickly brightened when I told her we could make cookies instead.
In the book, Maggie (Mr. Whisker’s neighbor across the bog) makes her favorite cranberry cookies and they give the recipe at the end of the book so you can make them at home. Well, truth be told, that recipe is pretty bad—don’t make it. But the idea of fresh cranberry cookies is splendid, and worthy of a decent recipe.
I love the combination of cranberry and lime so I decided to add some lime zest and juice to the mix, making what turned out to be the Cosmopolitan of cookies. They are soft, chewy and have a pleasant sweet-tart balance. The green and red also makes them fantastically seasonal…… I’m so clever.
Festive holiday cookies in the colors of red and green with tart cranberries and lime zest.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine shortening and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, letting the first incorporate fully before adding the next. Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add lime zest and juice and beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to the mixing bowl. Start mixer on low, then gradually increase speed until completely incorporated. Add cranberries and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Scoop into tablespoon-sized mounds and place on an ungreased baking sheet, about an inch apart. Bake until golden brown on the bottom, about 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
leave a reply