I’m just going to start by saying that yes we did have these cookies at our wedding. Not this exact recipe mind you, but a very, very similar nutty, crumbly cookie covered in mountains of powdered sugar that were wrapped in the most precious cellophane packages and handed out as thank you gifts.
They were made (as almost everything at our wedding was) by a friend and tremendous baker and were exceptionally delicious at 3 am when I finally got around to eating something. I’ve had that day on my mind lately (we will be celebrating seven years together next week) and can’t believe how quickly the time has passed and what an incredible amount of living has gone on since that warm October day seven years ago.
Two kids, new jobs, a huge move, trips, major purchases, an amazing amount of dirty dishes, laundry, arguments, hurt feelings, apologies, and so much generosity that sometimes I am amazed that we have it in ourselves to continue to give more.
But we do. Every morning we get another chance to do it over. Reconnect, recommit, remember what made us fall in love in the first place….take a deep breath and do it all over again.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- Place pecans in a single layer in a large frying pan and toast over medium heat until browned and fragrant, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and let cool. Place nuts in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse until finely minced; be careful not to grind into a paste.
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange racks in the lower and upper third. Combine coconut oil and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop into generous tablespoon-sized pieces and roll into balls. Place about an inch apart on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets. Bake until golden on the bottom and the outsides are firm, about 12-15 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to wire racks.
- Place remaining cup of powdered sugar in a wide bowl and gently toss warm cookies in the sugar, shaking off excess. Let cool completely on wire racks. Cookies will keep covered, at room temperature for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!