Somehow in all my Katy Perry Super Bowl fanaticism I’ve up and done forgot to talk about what we will be drinking—and when I say ‘we’ I mean the big, fat universal we, as in all of us, the whole entire world, or at least anyone who will be watching Katy Perry win the Super Bowl on Sunday.
We, of course will be drinking margaritas (honestly, when are we not?) but hows about a special bubbly version made with orange soda, mezcal (tequila’s smoky cousin), and orange bitters? Here’s the plan: how bout you and me hang out in the kitchen and play bartender on Sunday? I am more than happy to mix drinks all evening as long as I get an occasional peak at the commercials whilst delivering drinks to thirsty spectators.
For those of you who are actually interested in watching the game then you need to find someone to do this for you, but for those of you who could really give two shits? I’m talking to you. These margs take a tad bit of work, like squeezing limes and some vigorous shaking, there is even some orange zesting involved, but it will keep you occupied and no one will notice that you don’t know one iota about football. Just remember to get someone to take over during halftime.
A couple other margs to ponder:
- 1 ounce mezcal
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 or 4 thin strips orange zest
- a few dashes orange bitters
- Pellegrino orange soda
- lime wedges
- granulated sugar, for the rim
- Combine mezcal, lime juice, orange zest, and orange bitters in a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously until the shaker is well chilled.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a tall glass. Gently dip the glass in sugar and fill glass with ice. Strain drink over ice and fill with orange soda.