The most refreshing Cucumber Margarita made with fresh-pressed cucumber juice, smoky mezcal, and lots of lime juice. Make a big pitcher next time you are serving a crowd!
Recipe first posted in August 2014 and last updated, March 27, 2023.
Right now as you are reading this my family and I are riding in our tiny car across the state of Minnesota (or Wisconsin, depending on the hour).
It is August and that means…..roooaaaadddd trip!
the ultimate cucumber margarita
Today will be our longest driving day, maxing out at 10 hours (if all goes well) so that means someone better have a Big Gulp-sized margarita for me when we stop.
This cucumber margarita recipe first caught my eye when Kasey wrote about having them in Tulum; the bright green color, the flavors of smoke from Mezcal, and fresh-cut grassiness of it just screamed summer. The taste is grassy, smokey, and citrusy all at once.
To make this refreshing cocktail you can opt to go all the way and buy a juicer (if you don’t already have one) or keep it simple with a blender, cucumbers, lime, and good mezcal. Either way here’s what you’ll need:
- Cucumber. I like to use the long English cucumbers.
- Mezcal. Scroll down for my favorite brands. You could also make this with tequila blanco.
- Limes. 4 of them if making a pitcher, plus a few more for rimming the cocktail glasses and garnish.
- Grand Mariner. This is my preferred brand of orange liqueur.
- Agave Syrup. Or homemade simple syrup would be good too.
Juicer. This makes the purest, fresh cucumber juice but if you don’t have one and don’t want to buy one use a blender.
Blender. Instead of the juicer combine the cucumber and mezcal in a blender until finely pureed.
Fine Mesh Strainer. Strain the blended mixture through a strainer. If using a juicer, you can skip this step.
Pitcher. For making a big-batch cocktail.
Wooden Spoon. For stirring!
how to make cucumber margaritas by the pitcher (step-by-step instructions)
Juice the cucumber. Using a juicer, you can put the cucumber through that to make cucumber juice. If you don’t have a juicer, combine the cucumber and mezcal in a blender and blend until it is as smooth as possible.
If you are using regular cucumbers and not English cucumbers you can reduce the bitterness by peeling the cucumber first. The prep time might be a bit longer than making a regular margarita but really the total time is not too long and totally worth it!
Strain the mixture. Pour the cucumber mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl or large measuring cup. Discard the solids.
Prep the glasses. Cut one of the limes into wedges and run the lime wedge around the rim of 4 rocks glasses. Dip in kosher salt and fill each glass with ice.
Mix! Combine the cucumber juice with the fresh lime juice, agave, Grand Marnier, and mezcal (if you didn’t add it to the blender) in a pitcher and stir to combine.
Enjoy! Divide the margarita between the four glasses and sip away!
*To Make A Spicy Version: Slice a jalapeno into thin slices. Add one or two sliced jalapenos to the bottom of each glass and mash with a muddler, then top with ice and pour the drink over the top.
how to make just one or two drinks
If you want to make this margarita recipe just for yourself, you can absolutely do that too. Here’s how:
- Make the cucumber juice like described above.
- Rim your cocktail glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the edge of a rocks glass or margarita glass and dipping it in kosher salt.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the cucumber juice, 1/4 cup mezcal, the juice of 1 squeezed lime (about 2 ounces), 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (like triple sec or my favorite, Grand Mariner), and 1 teaspoon agave syrup in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for at least 15 seconds then pour into the prepared glass. Garnish with cucumber slices and enjoy!
- Pour any leftover cucumber juice into a mason jar, cover with the lid and store in the refrigerator for another cocktail, green juice, or smoothie. It will last 2-3 days.
what’s the best mezcal for cocktails?
My favorite mezcals for mixing up cocktails are:
more summer cocktail recipes to try!
- Strawberry Pink Peppercorn Margarita
- Tequila Sunrise with Homemade Grenadine
- Blackberry Limonada Margarita
- Tequila Libre Cocktail
- Pineapple Hibiscus Margarita
- Fresh Tomato Michelada with Tamarind
- Strawberry Hibiscus Paloma
make a pitcher for cinco de mayo
These Cucumber Mezcal Margaritas are the best for parties like Cinco de Mayo because it makes a whole pitcher! Please let me know when you make them by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) !
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!