My father came to visit last week and a few days before he was to arrive I asked if he had any special requests, “pizza and something Mexican would be great,” he replied. Something Mexican hmmm… I always make tostadas and tacos and chicken tortilla soup, I just made pozole and sopa de albondigas last week and I’m not making enchiladas, they take more last minute preparation than my one-year-old can handle.
Ah yes, fajitas—chicken fajitas. Why I always forget about chicken fajitas I can’t tell you because they are something everyone including my lil’ jalapeno will actually eat and as I like to cement everyone’s love for me by feeding them what they want, we’ve got ourselves is a win-win situation.
This is a standard marinade that can be used with any type of fajita meat. If you prefer beef, just substitute 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of strip steak for the chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large jalapenos
- corn tortillas, avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Combine chicken, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, coriander, pepper, oregano, salt, cumin, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl and toss to coat chicken breasts. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in advance.
- If using an indoor grill, heat oven to 425°F. Heat indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat and brush grates with oil. While grill is heating, toss onion, peppers, and whole jalapenos in a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken until dark grill marks have formed, flip and form grill marks on the other side. If using an indoor grill, remove chicken from grill, place on a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven until chicken is firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes more. If using an outdoor grill, finish cooking all the way through on the grill. Let chicken sit about 5 minutes before slicing.
- While chicken is finishing cooking, grill vegetables, turning every few minutes, until tender, about 10 minutes total. Slice chicken into thin strips and place on a platter with vegetables. Serve with warm tortillas, avocado slices and lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g