The classic Mexican salsa recipe, Pico de Gallo is easy to make and has all the fresh, bright flavors that bring joy to everything from tacos to chips! You are going to love this recipe.
Recipe first posted August 20, 2011 and last updated August 19, 2022.
I’ve been going down my roster of requisite recipes that I make every tomato season. Ones that really require fresh-picked, fragrant, ripe tomatoes.
I haven’t gotten to the ultimate summertime sandwich, the BLT. It is by far my favorite and I have been waiting for my own tomatoes to become ripe enough for the distinct honor of being sliced and placed between smoky bacon, bread and mayonnaise.
I have made several batches of Pico de Gallo, the bona fide version of what most supermarkets sell in jars as “salsa”. Every time I make it I think I’ve made too much, but by the end of dinner it’s gone.
If a measly cup makes it to the next day it is quickly snatched up by whoever spots it first for topping their scrambled eggs or spooning onto quesadillas.
I guess everyone knows when tomato season is over, so is pico de gallo.
What Is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is a salsa fresca or salsa cruda aka a salsa made with raw ingredients. It is an easy recipe for fresh salsa that is popular at Mexican restaurants but in my opinion, homemade Pico de Gallo is best.
The best Pico de Gallo is made with super ripe, flavorful tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, fresh lime juice, and salt.
Pico de Gallo literally translates to rooster’s beak but this salsa has nothing to do with roosters or birds of any kind. There are many theories about how it got its name like the ingredients look like they were pecked to pieces by a rooster’s beak or if you ate it with your thumb and finger your hand is in the shape of a rooster’s beak. The truth is no one really knows.
Ingredients To Make Pico de Gallo
This is a great recipe that requires great tomatoes. They make all the difference here.
- Fresh tomatoes. Use whatever has the most flavor, plum tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, they all work.
- White onion or red onion
- Jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Kosher salt
What Not To Add
Anything not on this list. Ha! Just kidding. Lots of people add stuff like garlic, diced avocado, etc. You can do whatever you want but I think keeping it simple highlights the flavors of the tomatoes which are the real star.
How To Make Pico de Gallo
In the summertime this is my go to appetizer because it takes all of 10 minutes to prepare and everyone loves it.
Chop ingredients. Chop the tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño.
Combine. Combine the finely chopped ingredients in a large bowl. Add lime and salt and stir to combine.
Taste. Dip a chip into the salsa and taste. Add more lime juice or salt if necessary.
What To Do With This Salsa
Besides devour it, you mean? Well obviously, this is the ultimate salsa for chips and salsa but it’s also good on:
- Fried Green Tomato Burritos (or any burrito for that matter).
- Another obvious choice would be nachos. These Sweet Potato Nachos with Smoked Cheddar and Black Beans are always a hit.
- Chicken Flautas Mexicanas basically require Pico de Gallo on top.
- Sprinkling some on top of Taco Salads is another yummy option.
More Mexican Salsa Recipes To Try!
- When Hatch chiles are in season, you must make this Roasted Hatch Green Chile Salsa
- My Super Simple Salsa Verde is a perennial favorite
- Mint and Sweet Pea Guacamole is a springtime twist on everyone’s favorite dip
- Green, spicy, and easy makes this Jalapeño Avocado Salsa a popular option
- Sweet Corn Salsa is super yummy in the summer.
This Pico de Gallo Recipe Is Salsa At Its Finest
Grab a bag of tortilla chips and whip up a batch tonight! Let me know when you make it by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) ! Also, sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
- Mix Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Taste and add more lime juice or salt if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g