Did you know Cinco de Mayo is coming up?
Cinco de Mayo, that weird holiday that means very little to actual Mexicans living in Mexico but a lot to Americans living in America, primarily as an excuse to drink tequila (like we need one) and secondarily to celebrate all things Mexican. So therefore, something I support 100 thousand percent! Yay, Mexico!
I plan on drinking margaritas starting Friday, April 29th because why should we relegate Cinco de Mayo to just one day? That’s ridiculous. Not this year. This year I’ve gathered my fellow food blogger friends and we are throwing a massive celebration. April 29th kicks off #MargaritaWeek!!
All week long my dearest tequila-loving friends and I are throwing up their very best margaritas so make sure you follow along right here, on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to get all the recipes!
Now of course we are going to need some snackies in our stomachs too so I’ve made us some cheesy crackers that go just about perfectly with any sort of margarita, cold beer, or just by the handful shoved into your mouth at an alarming rate.
They’re crazy-good and not too hard to throw together. Did you know you could make your own crackers? You can!!
To make the crackers, pulse all the ingredients together in the food processor until you come to a crumbly dough.
Form into a ball and put in the refrigerator for an hour. You could also make it a day ahead and refrigerate overnight.
Then roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle-ish shape. If you are a perfectionist you will want to trim off the edges so you can make perfect squares. If you are not, don’t worry about it. Cut the dough into 1-inch thick strips.
Make cut squares.
Then place the squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with a little milk to make them shiny and give the salt something to stick to. Sprinkle with fancy sea salt flakes or regular salt flakes.
Poke a little hole in each square to give the steam someplace to go and to give them that Cheez-It je ne sais quoi.
Then its oven time! Then its time to try not to eat the entire pan while simultaneously burning the roof of your mouth.
Have a great weekend mi gente!!!
Homemade Jalapeño Cheesy Crackers Recipe
Crisp little bite-sized crackers with spicy jalapeño and aged Cheddar cheese. Perfect for snacking with an icy margarita. Crackers will keep sealed in an airtight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 90-100 crackers (about 4-6 servings) 1x
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 ounces aged Cheddar, grated (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- milk, for brushing
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- Combine butter, flour, and paprika in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Blend until butter is cut into small pieces, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add Cheddar and jalapeño and blend until incorporated, another 30 seconds.
- Add egg yolk and blend until dough comes together. Remove dough from food processor and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap then flatten into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Trim off edges if you want them to be perfect squares or leave edge on if you don’t care about perfection.
- Cut dough into 1-inch squares and place them on the prepared baking sheet. You can put them pretty close together as they really don’t spread, just puff up. Poke a hole in the middle of each square with a toothpick. Brush squares with milk and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden and firm.
Pin It For Later
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!