I’m getting the feeling my family is tired of my cooking.
I’ll admit I’ve been trying to make healthier meals, (aka, very little meat, lots of vegetables) but I’m sensing I’m the only one who is digging this menu. I made spaghetti squash the other night and I thought they were all going to pass out. I overheard Louisa tell Hiro, “Don’t throw up!! Just pretend you’re eating ice cream.”
Then last Friday Armando came home with 2 pounds of flank steak, a pound of short ribs, and two of the largest New York strips I’ve ever seen. Oooookay. So we scratched the salmon cakes I was going to make (I did make them on Monday and they were VERY good, you should give them a try) and made steak, cause apparently that’s what he wanted? I think?
They were good, I love steak as much as the next person, but I still need a considerable amount of veggies on my plate, which is where this treasured carrot side dish comes in.
I will (and do) eat almost any roasted vegetable with abandon. I can’t think of too many vegetables that don’t benefit from a blasting of oven heat. I don’t know, spinach? Still probably pretty good, like very flimsy kale chips. Anyway, carrots, in particular, really love a hot oven. It concentrates their sweetness and unlike spinach, they retain their texture just enough to really sink your teeth into them after roasting.
The honey butter is easy to throw together, just melt everything in a pan and toss with the carrots. The kick of heat from the chipotles really makes the whole thing come to life, plus hunks of lemon make anything sexy. Serve the lemons on the side to squeeze over your whole plate, roasted lemon juice on a pan-fried New York strip is pretty va-va-va-voom.
- Oh, before I forget, here’s some ideas for the rest of that can of chipotles.
Roasted Carrots with Chipotle-Honey Butter Recipe
Sweet roasted carrots tossed in a chipotle and honey butter and sprinkled with fresh mint leaves. Gluten-free! You can use as many or as few chipotles as you’d like, two are pretty spicy, if you’re sensitive to heat use less.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound small carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1–2 chipotles en adobo, minced (depending on how spicy you’d like)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place carrots in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter, chipotles, honey, salt and pepper in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until melted.
- Pour butter mixture over carrots and toss to combine. Arrange carrots on baking sheet and scrape any extra butter over the top. Place lemon pieces over the carrots.
- Roast until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove to a serving dish, sprinkle with salt and mint leaves.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!