How to make the Best Paloma Recipe! The most popular cocktail in Mexico. This is the classic recipe: reposado tequila, freshly squeezed lime and grapefruit juice and the only way to make Palomas—with Squirt. The ultimate refreshing summer cocktail.
What we have here is one of my all time favorite tequila cocktails—a Paloma cocktail. Turns out, I’m not alone. It is by far the most popular cocktail in Mexico and most often you’ll find it made super simple with three very important ingredients: tequila, lime juice, and Squirt.
I like to keep it that way but I think it is best with a squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice and grapefruit soda. Of course when I say grapefruit soda I mean Squirt and only Squirt. Can you tell I have an opinion on the matter?
I can 1000% promise this will be your go-to cocktail this summer so grab that bottle of Squirt and let’s get shaking.
Ingredients to make the best Paloma Recipe
A lot of recipes claim to be better because they use all fresh juice, plus simple syrup or agave nectar plus sparkling water to mimic the flavor and effervesce of Squirt but it just doesn’t compare to the real thing. There’s a reason this is how they make a Paloma cocktail in Mexico.
- Tequila. Keep scrolling for my favorites.
- Squirt. Only acceptable grapefruit soda option. Ideally the Mexican Squirt in the glass bottle.
- Fresh limes. For squeezing and garnish.
- Fresh grapefruit. For squeezing to add a tinge of bitter.
- Kosher salt for rimming the glass. If you like a finer texture use fine sea salt instead. Or don’t rim the glass and add a pinch of salt to the drink right before serving it.
How To Make A Paloma Drink
Rim the glass. Pour about 1/4 cup or so of kosher salt or your favorite rimming salt (mine is Manny’s Spicy Margarita Mix Salt) on a small plate. Rub a lime half around the rim of the glass then dip the rim in the salt.
Squeeze the juice. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with crushed ice. Add the tequila, grapefruit juice, and lime juice. Shake vigorously until the shaker is cold and beaded with sweat, about 15 seconds.
Top with Squirt. Pour into the pint glass with the salted rim, top with Squirt, and give a stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.
*Armando prefers to fill the glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass. You do you.
What Kind Of Tequila To Use For Palomas
The simple answer is: Your favorite kind!
You can really use any tequila for a Paloma drink. My favorite is a Reposado tequila but a Blanco tequila is good as well. I’ve also made them with mezcal and those are delicious too. Whatever you use just make sure it is made with 100% Blue Weber Agave—it should say this on the bottle. Here are a few of my favorite mixing tequilas:
- Hussong’s Reposado Tequila
- Hornitos Reposado Tequila
- Corralejo Reposado Tequila
- Cazadores Reposado Tequila
More refreshing summer cocktails to try!
- Spicy Raspberry Margarita Recipe
- Campari Wine Spritzer
- Authentic Michelada Recipe
- An Easy and Refreshing Mojito
- Fresh Kiwi Caipirinha
- Tequila Libre Cocktail
- Tequila Sunrise with Homemade Grenadine
Attention: Palomas Drink All Summer Long
Grab your fresh grapefruits and your bottle of tequila because you are going to be wanting one of these babies, STAT! Let me know when you make it by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) ! Also, sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
- 3-4 tablespoons kosher salt or your favorite rimming salt
- 1 lime wedge
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) your favorite tequila
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime, juiced)
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (about 1/4 of a grapefruit, juiced)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) chilled Squirt
- Rim the glass. Pour the salt onto a small plate. Rub the lime wedge around the edge of a pint glass. Dip the rim of the glass into the salt. Set aside.
- Shake. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with crushed ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit juice. Shake until cocktail shaker is beaded with water, about 15 seconds.
- Serve. Pour cocktail into prepared pint glass, top with Squirt, and stir. Garnish with the lime wedge and enjoy! If you want you can also garnish with thin strands of lime zest by running a citrus zester along the outside of a lime.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15687mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!