CONGRATULATIONS TO DENISE! You’ve won the Pairings Box. Thank you to all who left a comment and shared the post on social media.
As we enter into the gift-giving season may I make a suggestion? Be cool. Give gifts that make the recipient exponentially cooler and in turn making yourself look pretty swank too. A really cool gift is one that just keeps on giving. No lie.
I bring this up because I have probably the coolest gift you can give anyone….and I’m giving you the chance to win a preview, so you can be like, “Oh, your welcome. I’ve been getting it forever.” Say it very nonchalant for maximum affect.
Ok, here it is.
It is called a Pairings Box and it is put together by my friends Kasey and Matthew over at Turntable Kitchen. It is a monthly subscription service that includes an exclusive 7″ vinyl, digital mixtape, a premium ingredient, 3 seasonal recipes, and tasting notes. Essentially, the latest music + beautiful food all in one box. Every. Month.
When Kasey asked if I’d lend a hand with the September box (because she just gave birth to the most beautiful twins the world has ever seen) I was so excited to come up with something fun, bright, and of course, Mexican. I chose dried hibiscus flowers (flor de jamaica) as my premium ingredient and came up with three recipes that flaunt the tart bud’s character.
I was swimming with so many ideas that I had a hard time narrowing it down to three. To tempt you I’m sharing one more hibiscus recipe today. A silky flan steeped with the bright, floral flavor of hibiscus. One more reason to get a Pairings Box subscription….or throw your name in the hat for the giveaway.
To win the September Pairings Box just leave me a comment below and tell me your favorite way to enjoy dried hibiscus flowers or if you’ve never had them before then let me know what your favorite Mexican ingredient is. For extra chances to win, share this post on the social media platform of your choice (Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram) along with the hashtag #holajalapeno. You can even share on all three for three entries. A winner will be picked at random on Monday, October 19th.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup dried hibiscus flowers (flor de jamaica)
- ¼ cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat milk and ½ cup of the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Heat gently until milk just starts to bubble around the edges, do not boil. Pour into a heatproof bowl and stir in hibiscus flowers. Let cool then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place a 9-inch ring mold or 8 (4-ounce) ramekins in a roasting pan. Bring a large kettle of water to a boil.
- Combine 1 cup of the sugar and the ¼ cup of water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar then let cook, undisturbed, until amber in color, about 8 minutes. Immediately pour the hot caramel into the bottom of the ring mold, or divide it evenly between the ramekins, swirling to coat.
- Whisk eggs, yolks, remaining ½ cup of sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Strain the hibiscus-milk mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat just until little bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- Slowly add warm milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously until smooth. Strain mixture one last time then pour into mold or ramekins.
- Place roasting pan in the oven then add boiling water, making sure it reaches halfway up the sides of the mold or ramekins. Bake until set, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool 30 minutes. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the inside edge or the mold or ramekins, place a plate on top, invert and lift mold off. If flan is not releasing briefly dip the bottom of the mold or ramekins in hot water and try again.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!