Have you tried any jamaica flower recipes before? The dried flor de jamaica or hibiscus blossoms are seemingly everywhere these days….in cocktails, jams, and even as sweetened dried snacks at Trader Joe’s. But dried jamaica flower recipes have been infused in Mexican cuisine forever.
What are Jamaica Flowers and Where Do You Buy Them?
- Jamaica flowers are also called flor de jamaica (pronounced ha-MY-kuh) in Spanish and hibiscus flowers in English and they all refer to the same thing, the dried burgundy-hued petals of the roselle plant or Hibiscus sabdariffa.
- There are 232 species of hibiscus and not all of them are edible.
- The dried flowers can bought by the pound online.
- The best prices and quality can be found at your local Latin Market where they are sold in huge bulk bins for next to nothing.
- When you’re buying the flowers look for whole petals, not cut or broken flowers that are a jumble of stems and leaves.
Other Hibiscus Flower Products
- Flor de Jamaica Tea (the most popular being Red Zinger)
- Sweetened and dried Hibiscus Flowers, with the texture and taste of dried cranberries.
- Candied Jamaica in syrup.
The Healing Properties of Jamaica Flower Recipes
- Dried jamaica flowers brewed into tea has been proven to help lower high blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- The flowers are packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C and are excellent for your liver and digestive systems.
- The popular Mexican drink, Agua de Jamaica, still has all these properties but is also high in sugar, so if you are going for health benefits it’s best to stick to brewing unsweetened tea.
- Side effects of hibiscus flowers are minimal but if blood pressure control is a problem for you, or you take medication that may interact with hibiscus tea, consult your doctor.
The Easiest Way To Make Hibiscus Tea
- Give the dried flowers a quick rinse to get rid of any dust or particles.
- Place one whole dried flower in a cup and pour over hot water. Steep for 5 minutes.
- By itself the flowers are very tart so sweeten to your liking with honey.
What Else Can Be Made with Flor de Jamaica?
Jamaica flowers go way beyond tea. Let’s check out ten more recipes using this Flor de Jamaica that you should be making right now.
How To Get Out a Jamaica Stain
The only downside to Jamaica flowers is they can really stain your white counter tops and ceramic cups. Here’s a cleaning hack I love to get it out.
One last thing…
What do you think? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram! Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!