It goes without saying that Cinco de Mayo is my jam. I’ve been talking about it all week and have got you making nibbles for the fiesta like nobody’s business. Clearly you are going to be well covered in the margarita department as well. So the only thing left is dessert. In that case, let’s make ice cream sandwiches!
Here’s the thing with ice cream sandwiches though, hard cookie + ice cream does not work for me. You take a bite and all the ice cream splooshes out the other side, also I tend to feel that a sweet cookie and sweet ice cream is a bit much.
That’s where the genius of Flatout Folded Flatbread comes in! They are the perfect texture for an ice cream sandwich, especially when sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar and toasted in the waffle iron, you know, churros-style. They are a little bit crunchy, a little bit soft and just the right amount of not-too-sweet sweetness.
Of course you could use them for more savory applications as well. Basically take just about any leftovers, stuff them in the middle and you have a stellar, healthy lunch. With less calories, carbs, and more flavor they make any meal or snack more delicious and better for you. They even make ice cream sandwiches healthy….sort of (wink, wink).
Now let’s get sandwiching!
Melted butter + cinnamon + sugar = Churros.
The waffle iron is our friend to melt the sugar and make these guys crispy in all the right places.
Fold in half while they are still hot then let cool, they’ll make the perfect ice cream carrier that way.
This might sound crazy but the easiest way to get the ice cream in the sandwich is to cut it into 4 equal pieces while it’s still in the carton. Use a serrated knife and watch those fingers.
After they’re good and cold, dip in chocolate and try not to eat all four at once!
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 Five-Grain Flax Folded Flatout Flatbread
- 1 pint low-fat ice cream or your favorite ice cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Heat waffle iron and combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Brush butter on one side of each flatbread and sprinkle sugar mixture on top. Place flatbreads, one at a time, sugar-side down on the waffle iron. Brush other side with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Close waffle iron and cook until golden and sugar has melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove and gently fold in half, being careful not to tear or crack the middle. Let cool and repeat with remaining flatbreads.
- Fill flatbreads with ice cream. The easiest way to do this is to cut through the pint of ice cream into 4 equal circles with a serrated knife. Remove the cardboard and place each circle inside the folded flatbread. Freeze until completely hard, at least 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips over a simmering water bath or in the microwave. Dip each sandwich halfway in the chocolate. Return to freezer to harden.
- Enjoy immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 week.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!