I really don’t know how I’ve gotten so far into this blog without having a single recipe for chocolate sauce. I mean we are looking at close to 700 (!!) recipes and not one of them is chocolatey, drippy, and melty all at the same time. Time to right my wrongs with this beauty of a sauce—worth the wait if I do say so myself—that I made for last weekend’s Friends Who Fete ice cream social.
Okay so you know what a good cup of Abuelita smells like when you are pouring it into a cup? Chocolate and cinnamon and hints of almond wafting around in the air? Now imagine you can thicken it, make the chocolate part a bit more intense, and pour it over ice cream. That’s this sauce. Period.
This recipe makes enough to swirl into homemade Churros con Chocolate Ice Cream and still have plenty leftover for drizzling on top of basically whatever you want: ice cream, churros, cake, donuts, frozen bananas, grilled peanut butter sandwiches. Dealer’s choice.Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate Sauce
This sauce is fragrant with classic Mexican Hot Chocolate flavors and makes enough to swirl into homemade ice cream plus plenty leftover for drizzling on top.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Combine cream, milk, extract, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Let sit a couple of minutes then whisk until smooth. Leave at room temperature if using within a few hours or let cool, cover, and refrigerate. To make the sauce pourable again, reheat 15 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring in-between until pourable.
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!