This Mexican Chocolate Sauce flavored with almond, coffee, and cinnamon is a must-have for dunking churros, swirling into ice cream or drizzling on top for an instant sundae. Last updated 11/1/2021
I really don’t know how I’ve gotten so far into this blog without having a single recipe for chocolate sauce.
I mean we are looking at close to 700 (!!) recipes and not one of them is chocolatey, drippy, and melty all at the same time.
Time to right my wrongs with this beauty of a sauce—worth the wait if I do say so myself—that I made for last weekend’s Friends Who Fete ice cream social.
what is Mexican Chocolate Sauce?
Okay so you know what a good cup of Abuelita smells like when you are pouring it? Chocolate and cinnamon and hints of almond wafting around in the air?
Now imagine you can thicken it, make the chocolate part a bit more intense, and pour it over ice cream. That’s this sauce. Period.
This bittersweet sauce isn’t too sweet, making it the perfect chocolate dipping sauce for churros! Let’s see how easy it is to make.
How To Make It!
First step is to place the chocolate chips in a large heat proof bowl.
Now combine the heavy cream, milk, cinnamon, espresso powder, almond extract, and salt in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium low heat and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips in the bowl. Let sit for a minute or two to get the chocolate to start melting.
After a few minutes, stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
Use right away if you’d like a sauce that is the consistency of slightly thickened hot chocolate or let sit and cool until it is the thickness you like.
This recipe makes enough to swirl into homemade Churros con Chocolate Ice Cream and still have plenty leftover for drizzling on top of basically whatever you want: ice cream, churros, cake, donuts, frozen bananas, grilled peanut butter sandwiches. Dealer’s choice.
More chocolate recipes to try!
- Mexican Chocolate Sweet Tamales with Hot Honey
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Bean Cookies
- Vegan Mexican Chocolate Popsicles
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Millet Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies
- Smoky S’mores Trail Mix
Combine chocolate with flavored cream for a quick, easy sauce
Let me know when you do by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) ! Also, sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!
- Place chocolate in a bowl. Place chocolate chips or chopped chocolate in a medium, heatproof bowl.
- Heat remaining ingredients. Combine cream, milk, extract, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate and stir. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Let sit a couple of minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Serve or store for later. Leave at room temperature if using within a few hours or let cool, cover, and refrigerate. To make the sauce pourable again, reheat 15 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring in-between until pourable.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Second photo by This Mess Is Ours
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Than