We are knee deep in road trip season. Up to our elbows in camping time. Hiking, biking, and all that outdoorsy stuff is happening, like now. So what better time than to have a new trail mix recipe to take along for the ride?
The standard peanut, raisins, and M&M’s are good (although I prefer mine in cookie form) but let’s class up the joint for a minute. Let’s combine the two foods most associated with camping into one big bowl of yum—and I’m not talking about beanie weenies people.
- Roasted Salted Pistachios
- Graham Cereal
- Smoked Almonds
- Mini Marshmallows
- Cacao nibs
- Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- Roasted Salted Macadamia Nuts
Toss them in a bowl and make s’mores we can hold in our hands without our fingers sticking to each other or the dirt and grass that always somehow is at arm’s length when you’re mid s’more.
Everything you see here was purchased in the bulk section of my local Whole Foods. (words I’ve been unable to utter for 7 years, PS). But if you can’t find cacao nibs near you, you can always order them online from Nuts.com or substitute chocolate chips or even good ‘ol M&M’s.
National Trail Mix Day is right around the corner (August 31st), what’s your favorite combo?
- 1 cup smoked almonds
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup graham cereal
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, shelled
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate covered espresso beans
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- Combine all ingredients in a big bowl and enjoy. Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to a week.