It is not often that I cook for one. If I find myself eating alone (a very rare occasion) I usually heat up some leftovers, make avocado toast, fry an egg, you know the deal. I really should celebrate the peace and quiet by making something special, something indulgent, and most definitely something involving cheese (an ingredient banned at most meals in our house).
Since its summer a single lady’s cheese-stuffed burger is where its at, and since we are going to the trouble of lighting up the grill for one single burger why not throw a cob of fresh sweet corn on there as well?!
Making a stuffed burger is not as difficult as you might think. C’mon, I’ll show you how.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ground beef. I like to go with an 80/20 mix of beef to fat and not the extra lean which is usually labeled 95%. More fat equals more flavor.
- Fresh veggies like sweet corn, a jalapeño, scallions, a lime, and cilantro.
- Crumbled feta or any other salty cheese you like. Cotija or aged sharp Cheddar would also work.
- Mayo—essential for classic Mexican street corn salad (also know as Esquites). Also salt and ground cayenne chile powder.
- A bread component. I like to go with Flatout 5 Grain Flax Folded Flatbread. Every flatbread variety is low in fat, a good source of fiber and of course perfect for folding over burgers.
Making two patties out of the ground beef and sandwiching the cheese in the middle is the easiest way to make a stuffed burger.
Pinch the edges together to seal then give the whole thing a rub of oil and a good seasoning of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Grill it to your liking (about 8 minutes a side for medium) and grill the corn at the same time. Mix the corn with all the salad ingredients and pile it on top.
I love using the flatbread because its not too much bread. Sometimes a big ‘ol bun gets in the way of the good stuff inside. I can find Flatout breads at my local grocery store and I’m sure you have them in yours but if you’ve never seen them click here to find out where to buy them near you.
Every Flatout is a blank canvas; it’s a perfect partner to help people of all ages make healthier choices and super versatile too! Check out these other recipes using Flatout Flatbread:
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pizza
- Salpicon Fattoush Salad with Chipotle Dressing
- Chocolate Dipped Churros Ice Cream Sandwiches
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!