The BEST Turkey Burger recipe! This one is anything but boring, seasoned with Tapatio hot sauce, a simple spice blend, and Worcestershire with a little spicy mayo on top to boot. Serve the turkey burger with sweet potato fries and a simple Cilantro-Lime Slaw for an easy, healthy, and delicious dinner.
As we hunker down with family this holiday season it’s nice to have a simple dinner recipe for those nights when you feel like doing anything but cook dinner.
Burger recipes are always a hit at our house and I like to switch up the beef burgers every once in a while with something different. Chorizo burgers are amazing but sometimes I want something a bit healthier, lighter, and not so heavy.
That’s where this turkey burger recipe comes in.
Lean ground turkey makes excellent burgers if you season them right (that’s where the Tapatio comes in) and don’t overcook them. They’re also super fast and cook up in time for you to get back to your Christmas movie marathon. My favorite kind of holiday recipe!
Check out these recipes for more easy dinner ideas!
turkey burger recipe ingredients
These are the basic ingredients to make the BEST (and a little spicy) turkey burgers. If you are sensitive to spice, you can either cut the amount of hot sauce in half or just leave it out. If you LOVE spicy stuff—increase it!
- Ground turkey
- Tapatio Hot Sauce. Tapatio has the perfect spicy-acidic balance for these burgers but feel free to substitute your favorite hot sauce or leave it out.
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Finely chopped cilantro
how to make the BEST turkey burgers
Making turkey burgers is really pretty easy but here are my tips for getting a flavorful, juicy burger every time.
The first step to making the turkey patties is to combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. You want to mix the ingredients together with wet hands to combine everything evenly but not over mix. If you work the turkey too much they will be tough.
Next, form each burger patty by gently patting into a round just so they hold their shape but not too tightly. Set each patty on a large plate or baking sheet until you are ready to cook them. You can make them in advance at this stage, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Finally, cook the patties by grilling or pan-frying. To pan fry the burgers heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add burgers and cook until browned and cooked through and the internal temperature is at 165 degrees, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Cooking turkey burgers on the grill is also delicious. Fire the grill up to medium high heat, clean and oil the grates then cook until the burgers are cooked all the way through, about 5-6 minutes.
The Tapatio and Worcestershire make these burger patties a bit more wet than normal. If you’d like a firmer burger for grilling add 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs or unseasoned breadcrumbs.
now for the extras
Get out the mixing bowls because there are a few things that make these burgers complete!
To go with these burgers I love to mix together a spicy mayo to slather on top. In addition to their famous hot sauce, Tapatio also makes a picante seasoning mix with the same zip. Combine a teaspoon or so of the seasoning mix with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise for a quick, easy burger sauce.
If you can’t find the Tapatio seasoning, use Tajín or a few glugs of the same Tapatio hot sauce you used for the burger patties.
Instead of the classic lettuce, tomato, pickle garnish I think these spicy burgers deserve a delicious, crunchy Cilantro-Lime Slaw.
Lastly, sweet potato fries are my jam with burgers. You can buy store-bought fries and season them with more of the spicy picante seasoning or cut peeled sweet potatoes into thin strips, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake at 425°F for about 20 minutes.
my favorite burger recipes:
- Feta-Stuffed Burger with Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Chorizo Burgers with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Onions
- Cuban Roast Pork Burger with Mojo Onions
- Mexi Turkey Burgers
- Green Chile Cheeseburgers with Cayenne Mayo
- Red Bean Burgers with Paprika Sauce
- Double Pork Pork Burgers
show me your buns!
Ideally with burgers in them :). I hope you love this turkey burger recipe as much as we do. Please let me know if you make them by snapping a pic and tag me on Instagram @holajalapeno and #holajalapeno so I can see or leave me a comment below (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating) !
Tapatio Turkey Burger Recipe with Spicy Mayo
The BEST Turkey Burger recipe! This one is anything but boring, seasoned with Tapatio hot sauce, a simple spice blend and spicy mayo on top.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Tapatio Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Tapatio Picante Seasoning or Tajín
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Burger buns, toasted
- 1 recipes Cilantro-Lime Slaw
- Mix the patty ingredients: In a large bowl combine ground turkey, cilantro, Tapatio hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Using wet hands mix ingredients until evenly combined but don't over mix.
- Form into patties. Gently form mixture into 4 equal-sized patties. Don't press together too tightly. Lay on a large plate or baking sheet until you are ready to cook. You can cover and refrigerate the patties up to 2 days at this point.
- Combine spicy mayo. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise with the Tapatio Picante Seasoning or Tajín.
- Cook the burgers. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering add patties and cook, undisturbed until evenly browned on the bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking on the other side until burgers are cooked all the way through and the internal temperature reads 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Assemble and serve. Slather mayo on both sides of the buns, top with burgers and slaw and serve immediately with sweet potato fries.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!