Avocados are pretty much perfect on their own. With a sprinkle of salt, a squeeze of lime, on a piece of toast. I think that idea has been extraordinarily well documented.
But dare I say that coated in a crunchy breading they might be even better?!! I mean, for crying out loud, what isn’t better coated in a crunchy breading? Well, avocados, for one, do benefit from a little textural addition.
This right here be comfort food at its best. Sit back, crack a beer, and throw all restraint out the window kind of food. You know its okay to do that sometimes. It feels good, and good is good for you. Right?
Besides, these aren’t the worst possible things you could gorge on. They aren’t crispy fried steak fingers stuffed with cheese. They are über healthy avocados, breaded and baked into crunchy fries. Dip them in my version of spicy ranch made with that sultry North African condiment Harissa. Tomorrow you can go back to your green kale kombucha. Tonight…avocados + spicy ranch is where its at.
Oven Baked Avocado Fries with Harissa Ranch
These Oven Baked Avocado Fries take über healthy avocados, bread and bake them into crunchy fries. Dip them in my version of spicy ranch made with harissa.
- Yield: 4 1x
For the Avocados:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced into eighths
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Harissa Ranch:
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Harissa
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 450°F and arrange rack in the upper third.
- Combine flour, oregano, and paprika in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Crack eggs into another shallow dish. Add 1 tablespoon of water and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Place panko in a third shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Dip the avocado slices in the flour mixture, turning to coat all sides. Then place in the egg mixture, turning to coat, then finally the panko, pressing gently to coat all sides. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle avocado slices with the olive oil then place on the top rack of the oven. Bake until golden and crispy, about 10-15 minutes turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the Harissa Ranch in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice as needed.
- Serve avocado fries hot with ranch dip and lemon wedges for squeezing.