Autumn can come and go and not a Pumpkin Spice Latte do I crave. There isn’t a Christmas season that passes however, without at least one Peppermint Mocha stop. It’s usually at the Starbucks, inside the Target, while I browse the aisles for stocking stuffers and kid’s clothes. It’s a ritual I cherish—shopping alone with an indulgent hot chocolatey coffee—you’d think I was in the gilded halls of Harrods not the florescent-lit aisles of a box store attached to the mall.
This holiday season I want to embrace my love of the peppermint-chocolate-coffee-whipped cream combo in a celebratory bite-sized cupcake. The recipe for these chic sweets came to me as I was searching for an easy dessert to add to our Friends Who Fete Last Minute Holiday Party. I wanted to make something in the classic festive style but also something that could be made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry in literally a matter of minutes.
This chocolate cake batter is a throw back to the Great Depression when expensive ingredients like butter and milk were hard to come by so shelf-stable staples like mayonnaise were subbed in. The mayo flavor is undetectable, but it’s fat, in the form of oil and eggs, adds an undeniable richness and results in cupcakes that bake up tender and fluffy. Not to mention mixing in mayo takes little more than a few turns before these cupcakes are ready for the oven.
Instead of frosting I opted for an easy dollop of whipped cream. Using a can of real whipped cream means that you can even make pretty florets on top of each cupcake. The only thing I would say about using canned whipped cream is that it doesn’t last long, so don’t top the cupcakes until you are ready to serve them, the cream tends to melt quickly. A fun little crumble of candy canes are the only other thing you need to make these bites Christmas ready.
For lots more easy entertaining recipes and ideas check out our Friends Who Fete Last Minute Holiday Party!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Real cream whipped topping, such as Reddi-Wip
- Crushed candy canes, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in the middle. Line 40 mini cupcake wells with paper liners or spray lightly with baking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl, whisking to break up any lumps.
- Combine cocoa powder and chopped chocolate in a separate bowl. Pour hot coffee over cocoa mixture and stir until smooth; let cool slightly.
- Whisk mayonnaise, egg, and peppermint extract into cocoa mixture then stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Scoop 1-2 ounces of batter into each well (a cookie scoop works best) and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely then top each cupcake with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Last Minute Holiday Party Menu
Habanero Mango Meatballs
Honey Chipotle Meatballs
Butternut Squash Hummus with Brazi Bites and Veggies
One More Thing
Did you love this post? I want to know! Leave me a comment and snap a photo for Instagram. Tag @holajalapeno so I can see your beautiful creation! Your feedback is super important to me. If you run into trouble shoot me a message on Instagram and I’ll walk you through it.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter, lots of good stuff there too!